Karen Messer, PhD
Professor & Division Chief
Dr. Messer directs the Moores UCSD Cancer Center Biostatistics/Bioinformatics shared resource. She and her colleagues collaborate with Cancer Center investigators on design and analysis of cancer-related studies, ranging in scale from large “omics” data sets to small Phase II trials. Originally trained in mathematics, she has been a mathematical and applied statistician for over 20 years. Her methodological interests include more efficient Phase II trial design, asymptotic properties of resampling-based estimators, and more recently, methods for the analysis of high throughput sequencing data in genomics. In Tobacco Control, recent work has documented the continuing impact of tobacco industry advertising on increasing adolescent smoking rates.
Selected Collaborative Projects
- Director, UCSD Moores Cancer Center Biostatistics/Bioinformatics shared resource
- Population Assessment of Tobacco and Heath (PATH), FDA
Principal Research Interests
- High dimensional data analysis
- Design and analysis of biomarker studies
- Clinical trial design in oncology
- Epidemiology of tobacco use
- Natarajan L, Pu M, Messer, K (2011) Statistical tests for the intersection of independent lists of genes: sensitivity, FDR, and Type I error control. Annals of Applied Statistics, In press
- Pierce, J. P., K. Messer, et al. (2011). "Prevalence of Heavy Smoking in California and the United States, 1965-2007." Jama. 305(11): 1096-1112.
- Pierce, J. P., K. Messer, et al. (2010). "Camel No. 9 Cigarette-Marketing Campaign Targeted Young Teenage Girls." Pediatrics 125(4): 619-626.
- Messer, K. and J. P. Pierce (2010). "Changes in Age Trajectories of Smoking Experimentation during the California Tobacco Control Program." American Journal of Public Health 100(7): 1298-1306.
- Messer, K., L. Natarajan, et al. (2010). "Toxicity-evaluation designs for phase I/II cancer immunotherapy trials." Statistics in Medicine 29(7-8): 712-720.
- Messer, K. and A. Gamst (2008). "The asymptotic distribution of the delete-d Jackknife variance estimator for smooth functionals." Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference 138(7): 2154-2162.
- Goldstein, L. Messer, K., Optimal Plug-in Estimators for Non-parametric Functional Estimation.Annals of Statistics, 1992. 20(3): p. 1306-1328.
- Messer, K, Goldstein, L A New Class of Kernels for Nonparametric Curve Cstimation. Annals of Statistics, 1993. 21(1): p. 179-195